Working together to inspire individual recovery
One of the founding principles of our group is that we all work with the people we support as equal partners to design, plan and provide services together.
We’ve created a group-wide strategy for how we intend to share power and decision-making at all levels. To inform our plans we ran a ‘Big Conversation’ to find out from the people we support how they might want to more actively participate in and have greater influence over what we do. As a result of this, the things we’ve committed to doing over the next three years are:
At an individual level
- Sharing access to records so that people can see and update their own support plan and notes.
- Updating our data systems to capture skills, experiences and interests as well as needs and risks, to reflect our holistic, ‘glass half-full’ approach.
In our local services
- Ensuring that the people who use our services are able to influence, agree and take part in plans to improve and develop our services further.
- Enabling people to recruit and appraise our staff.
- Enabling people to use their own voice to engage with their communities and challenge stigma.
- Shaping our digital inclusion plans together.
At an organisational level
- Co-producing our communications so that the language and approaches we use are always accessible and inclusive.
- Expanding the training available to people using our services as well as designing and delivering more of our training together.
- Establishing clear pathways for people using our services to engage with and be part of our management and governance structures, including our board.
In addition to our strategy we’ve drawn up a charter with the people we support so that everyone knows what to expect and to make sure our approach is consistent across all services across our group partners. It states:
- We work together to make sure you benefit from our services
- We make decisions together
- We respect each other and our environment
- We work together to keep improving our services
- We enable you to use and develop your skills and social networks
We’ve created a short booklet to explain our approach.